Side Effects of Dronedarone
Common side effects of dronedarone may include fatigue, diarrhea, and nausea. When side effects occur with this medication, in most cases, they are minor and either do not require treatment or can be treated easily. However, certain side effects are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider immediately, including rapid heart rate, muscle weakness, and difficulty breathing.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with dronedarone (Multaq®). As with other arrhythmia medications, some of the side effects of dronedarone can be life-threatening. However, it is expected that this drug may be less likely to cause some serious side effects, compared to similar arrhythmia medications.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with dronedarone. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of dronedarone side effects with you.)
There are a number of possible dronedarone side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider immediately. These include, but are not limited to:
- Signs of a new or worsening arrhythmia, such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, or a rapid heart rate
- A very slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Signs of liver failure, such as:
- Loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting
- Upper-right abdominal (stomach) pain
- Yellow skin (jaundice) or yellow eyes
- Very dark urine
- Signs of low potassium or low magnesium levels (electrolyte imbalances), such as:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle cramps
- Confusion or disorientation
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
It is also important to let your healthcare provider know if you develop signs of heart failure, such as rapid weight gain, swelling of the hands and feet, and shortness of breath. Although heart failure is not a side effect of this medicine, people who have heart failure and take dronedarone are at a higher risk of death (see Precautions and Warnings With Dronedarone).