Cetirizine Side Effects
Interested in a Discount on Cetirizine?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Common Cetirizine Side Effects
Cetirizine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, in which the side effects of a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to another group not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of cetirizine in adults included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 13.7 percent of people
- Fatigue -- up to 5.9 percent
- Dry mouth -- up to 5 percent (see Zyrtec and Dry Mouth)
- Sore throat -- up to 2 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 2 percent.
In children, the most common side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 14 percent of children
- Sore throat -- up to 6.2 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 5.6 percent
- Cough -- up to 4.4 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 4.2 percent
- Nosebleeds -- up to 3.7 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3.1 percent.
Rare cetirizine side effects occur in less than 2 percent of people taking the drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are caused by cetirizine or something else.
These less common side effects include but are not limited to:
- Loss of appetite
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Bladder infection (urinary tract infection or UTI)
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus)
- Ear infections
- Muscle pain
- Decreased sex drive (see Zyrtec Effects on Libido)
- Hair loss
- Weight gain (see Zyrtec and Weight Gain).