Canakinumab Side Effects
If you undergoing treatment with canakinumab and experience side effects like abnormal bleeding, a rash, or other potentially serious problems, notify your healthcare provider right away. Although these types of problems may be serious, most reactions to this drug tend to be minor and easy to treat. Some of the more common side effects include a runny nose, sore throat, and headaches.
An Introduction to Side Effects of CanakinumabJust like any medicine, canakinumab (Ilaris®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who receives the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with canakinumab. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Canakinumab Side EffectsSome canakinumab side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of infection, such as:
- Aches and pains
- Persistent whirling or spinning sensations (vertigo)
- Loss of balance
- Pale skin, shortness of breath, or extreme tiredness or fatigue
- Abnormal bruising or bleeding
- Black, tarry or bloody stools
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
- Reactions at the injection site, such as:
- Persistent pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- A rash
- Unexplained swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.