Canakinumab Side Effects
Common Side EffectsCanakinumab has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people who received the drug were carefully documented, so it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, the most common side effects of canakinumab included but were not limited to:
- An infection (of any type) -- in up to 54.8 percent of people
- Symptoms of the common cold -- up to 34 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 20 percent
- The flu (influenza) -- up to 17 percent
- A runny nose -- up to 17 percent
- Stomach pain (abdominal pain) -- up to 16 percent
- Nausea -- up to 14 percent
- Headache -- up to 14 percent
- Skin reaction at the injection site – up to 12 percent
- Coughing -- up to 11 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 11 percent
- Sore throat -- up to 11 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 11 percent
- Pain -- up to 11 percent
- Whirling or spinning sensations (vertigo) -- up to 11 percent.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the canakinumab side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while using canakinumab or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.