Canakinumab comes as an injection that is given just under the skin (subcutaneously) once every four or eight weeks. The recommended dosage of canakinumab will vary, depending primarily on age, weight, and how you respond to the medication. This injection is typically administered by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting; however, it may also be given in your home by a visiting nurse.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of CanakinumabThe dose of canakinumab (Ilaris®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated
- Your age
- Your weight
- How you respond to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Canakinumab Dosing Guidelines for CAPSThe usual dose of canakinumab for the treatment of cryopyrin-associated periodic syndromes (CAPS) in people who weigh more than 40 kg (88 pounds) is 150 mg every eight weeks. The usual dosage in people who weigh between 15 kg and 40 kg (33 to 88 pounds) is 2 mg per kg body weight (about 0.91 mg per pound) every eight weeks.
This amount may be increased to 3 mg per kg (about 1.36 mg per pound) in children weighing 15 kg to 40 kg who do not adequately respond to the lower dose.
Canakinumab Dosing for SJIA
The usual dose of canakinumab for the treatment of systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (SJIA) in people who weigh more than 7.5 kg (16.5 pounds) is 4 mg per kg (about 1.8 mg per pound), no more than 300 mg, every four weeks.
General Information on Receiving CanakinumabSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with canakinumab include the following:
- This medication is given as an injection just under the skin (subcutaneously) once every eight weeks for CAPS or every four weeks for SJIA.
- Your canakinumab injection is normally given by your healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as a doctor's office or clinic. It also may be given in your home by a visiting nurse.
- The vial should be inspected before use. This medication should not be used if the vial contains particles.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Try to keep all of your appointments to receive canakinumab.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or canakinumab dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.