You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this medication if you have:
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure
- Recently had abnormal or excessive bleeding problems
- Recently coughed up blood
- An open wound
- Had a recent heart attack
- Had a blood clot
- An upcoming surgery, including dental surgeries
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Cometriq and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Cometriq and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Cabozantinib to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)
Cabozantinib belongs to a group of medications known as tyrosine kinase inhibitors. It works by blocking tyrosine kinase, a protein in the body responsible for the growth and division of cancer cells. By blocking tyrosine kinase, cabozantinib may slow down or stop the growth of cancer cells, which can slow down how quickly the disease progresses.