C1 Esterase Inhibitor Overdose
It is possible to overdose on C1 esterase inhibitor. Although there have not been any reports of an overdose, receiving too much of this drug may increase your risk for blood clots, strokes, or a heart attack. Treatment for this type of overdose may include supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur due to the overdose.
C1 esterase inhibitor (Berinert®, Cinryze®) is a prescription medication used in the treatment of a rare genetic condition known as hereditary angioedema (HAE). It is an injectable medication, given through a needle inserted into a vein (an intravenous, or IV, injection). The injections can be given by a healthcare provider, or (after proper training) self-administered.
As with most medicines, it is possible to receive too much C1 esterase inhibitor. The effects of an overdose would likely vary, however, depending on a number of factors, such as the particular medication used, the dosage, and whether it was used in combination with any other medications or substances.
At this time, there have not been any reports of a C1 esterase inhibitor overdose. Therefore, it is not entirely known what to expect if too much of the medication is used.
C1 esterase inhibitors have been reported to cause blood clots when given in high doses (14 times the normally recommended human dose) to animals, and when used in higher-than-recommended doses in humans. Therefore, an overdose may increase the risk for blood clots.
Blood clots can be life-threatening. If a clot blocks the flow of blood in the blood vessels, serious problems can occur, including a stroke, heart attack, and death.
In addition to increasing the risk for blood clots, it is reasonable to expect an overdose to cause the usual C1 esterase inhibitor side effects. In the case of an overdose, the side effects may be more severe. Such side effects could include but are not limited to: