Buprenorphine Patch Side Effects
Common side effects of the buprenorphine patch include nausea, headaches, and dizziness. While these side effects generally require little or no treatment, potentially serious problems are possible while using this medication. If you experience more serious reactions, such as difficulty breathing, hallucinations, or seizures, notify your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Side Effects of the Buprenorphine PatchJust like any medicine, the buprenorphine patch (Butrans®) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with buprenorphine patches. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Serious Buprenorphine Patch Side EffectsSome buprenorphine patch side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- The urge to use more buprenorphine patches than prescribed or for a nonmedical purpose (see Butrans Abuse)
- Any difficulty breathing, including reduced, shallow, slow, or irregular breathing
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Severe drowsiness
- Cold and clammy skin
- Fainting or loss of consciousness
- Confusion or problems thinking, walking, or talking
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there)
- Severe constipation
- Signs of liver problems, such as yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin, or upper left abdominal (stomach) pain
- Unusual changes in behavior or mood, including depression, hostility, agitation, or anxiety
- Dizziness when getting up from a seated or lying-down position, which may be a sign of low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.