Buprenorphine Injection Side Effects
Common Side EffectsThe buprenorphine injection has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects were carefully documented. Based on the information from these studies, the most common side effects of this product included:
- Sedation (a drowsy, calm state) -- in up to approximately 66 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 5 to 10 percent
- Dizziness or a spinning sensation (vertigo) -- up to 5 to 10 percent.
Other common buprenorphine injection side effects, occurring in 1 to 5 percent of people, included:
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Constricted (pinpoint) pupils
- Slow or shallow breathing.
Some of these common side effects could also be classified as serious side effects.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while receiving a buprenorphine injection or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.