Buprenorphine and Naloxone
When and How to Use Buprenorphine and NaloxoneSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with buprenorphine and naloxone include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a tablet or film. Both are dissolved on the floor of the mouth under the tongue. It is usually taken once a day.
- Do not chew, swallow, or suck on the tablets or film, as this will reduce the effectiveness of the drug. Keep them under your tongue until they completely dissolve.
- If you are using more than one tablet, spread them out under the tongue. Do not place them on top of one another. If you use more than two tablets per dose and cannot fit them all in your mouth at once, take them separately. No matter what, make sure to keep them under your tongue until they dissolve completely.
- For the films, do not place more than two films under the tongue at one time. Drink a little water before taking the film, as this moistens the mouth and helps the film dissolve easier.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or suddenly stop using this drug without your healthcare provider's approval.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with buprenorphine and naloxone, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Storage InformationBuprenorphine and naloxone should be stored at room temperature, protected from prolonged exposure to light. For the films, keep them in their original packaging until use. Keep this and all other medications out of the reach of children and pets. Because buprenorphine and naloxone is a potential drug of abuse, store it in a safe place to prevent theft.