If you believe you have taken too much bromfenac, contact your healthcare provider. An overdose of this medicine is not expected to be dangerous, but could cause eye burning, stinging, or pain. In some cases, treatment may not be necessary. However, your healthcare provider may recommend treatment based on the specific symptoms you develop.
Bromfenac ophthalmic solution (Bromday®, Prolensa™, Xibrom®) is a prescription eye drop used after cataract surgery. As with most medicines, it is probably possible to overdose on bromfenac.
Although an overdose with this medication is not expected to be dangerous, the specific effects would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the bromfenac dosage and whether it was used with any other medications or substances.
At this time, there have been no reports of a bromfenac overdose. Therefore, it is not entirely clear what to expect in the event of an overdose.
In general, an overdose would not be expected to cause any serious symptoms. This is because very little (if any) of the drug is absorbed from the eye into the bloodstream with normal use. An overdose could cause eye symptoms, however, such as eye burning, stinging, pain, or redness.
The medication is also not likely to be dangerous if taken by mouth, as an entire bottle of bromfenac contains only a small amount of the active drug.
Treatment for this type of overdose may vary. If the overdose does not result in any problems or symptoms, it is possible that no treatment will be necessary. If symptoms occur, a healthcare provider may recommend treatment based on the specific symptoms.
Even though an overdose is not likely to be dangerous, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken too much.