Belimumab Side Effects
Belimumab has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people receiving belimumab plus the usual lupus treatments were carefully documented and compared to another group given a placebo (an IV with no active ingredients) plus the usual lupus treatments. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of belimumab included:
- Nausea -- in up to 15 percent of people
- Diarrhea -- up to 12 percent
- Fever -- up to 10 percent
- Common cold symptoms -- up to 9 percent
- Bronchitis -- up to 9 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 7 percent
- Pain in an arm or leg -- up to 6 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 3 to 5 percent of people, included:
- Sore throat
- Bladder infection
- Low white blood cell count (found using a blood test)
- Viral "stomach flu" (viral gastroenteritis).
You may experience some or none of the belimumab side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any adverse reactions while using the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.