Azelastine Dosing for Vasomotor Rhinitis
The recommended dose of azelastine
for nasal symptoms due to irritants (known as vasomotor rhinitis) in adults and children age 12 and older is two sprays in each nostril twice daily.
General Information on Dosing With Azelastine
Considerations for people taking azelastine include the following:
- Azelastine comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is usually taken twice a day.
- The first time you use each bottle of azelastine, you will need to prime the pump by spraying until a fine mist appears. If you have not used the bottle within the last three days, you may have to re-prime the pump.
- Blow your nose before each dose. Breathe in gently while spraying the medicine into your nose. Do not try to inhale the spray or breathe in too deeply, as azelastine works when it comes into contact with the inside surfaces of the nose, not the throat or lungs.
- Do not tip your head back immediately after taking azelastine, as this increases the chance of experiencing a bitter taste.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Azelastine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or azelastine dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.