Azelastine Ophthalmic Solution
- This medication comes in the form of an eye drop. It is usually used in each eye twice a day.
- In order to prevent contamination of the drops, do not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, including the surface of the eye.
- Azelastine ophthalmic solution comes in single-use containers or in a multi-use bottle. Discard the single-use container immediately after use (do not save any remaining solution for later).
- If you wear contact lenses, you must remove them to use the drops. In order to prevent the lens from absorbing the medication, make sure to wait 10 minutes after using the drops before reinserting the lens. Do not wear your contact lenses if your eye is still red.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed.
Effects of Azelastine Ophthalmic SolutionIn clinical studies, azelastine ophthalmic solution was shown to prevent and relieve itching of the eyes due to allergies. In these studies, a dose of this medication was shown to start working quickly (within three minutes) and last for about eight hours.
Generic AvailabilityThis medication is available in generic form (see Generic Optivar).
Who Makes This Medication?Azelastine ophthalmic solution is manufactured by Patheon UK, Ltd. (6 mL size), or Catalent Pharma Solutions (0.2 mL size) and is marketed and distributed by Meda Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Azelastine Ophthalmic Solution StrengthsAzelastine ophthalmic solution comes in one strength (0.05%) and in two different forms:
- Azelastine ophthalmic solution 6 mL multi-use bottles
- Azelastine ophthalmic solution 0.2 mL single-use containers.