Azelaic Acid Cream
What Should I Do If I Forget a Dose?If you forget to apply azelaic acid cream, simply skip your missed dose and continue with your regular schedule.
How Does Azelaic Acid Cream Work?At this time, it is not exactly clear how azelaic acid cream works for treating acne. Azelaic acid, the active ingredient in the product, may have some antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and may also help to normalize hyperkeratinization (a problem with skin cells that leads to pimples and other bumps).
Interestingly, azelaic acid is found naturally in wheat, barley, and rye.
When and How to Use This MedicationSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with azelaic acid cream include the following:
- Apply this medication to the face twice daily, after washing with a mild cleanser. Apply it before applying any cosmetics.
- Unlike many other acne medications, azelaic acid cream will not bleach fabrics. This can be an important advantage, especially for people who need to treat areas other than the face.
- Keep this medication out of the mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Wash your hands after applying the cream.
- For azelaic acid cream to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.