General Information on Taking Artemether/LumefantrineSome considerations for people taking artemether/lumefantrine include the following:
- This medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken twice a day for three days.
- Artemether/lumefantrine should be taken with food to help the body absorb as much of the medicine as possible. When people have malaria, they sometimes do not want to eat. However, it is important that you take this medicine with some food, such as milk, pudding, soup, or broth. If artemether/lumefantrine is not taken with food, it may not work to completely cure malaria.
- If artemether/lumefantrine tablets cannot be swallowed whole, they may be crushed and mixed with a small amount of water (one to two teaspoons) immediately prior taking the dosage. Mix the medicine and water in a clear container. After drinking the mixture, rinse the container with more water and drink it to make sure the entire dose is taken.
- If you vomit within two hours after taking artemether/lumefantrine, you should take another dose. If you vomit again, call your healthcare provider. You may need another medicine to treat malaria.
- You should not drink grapefruit juice while taking artemether/lumefantrine. Drinking grapefruit juice with this medicine may increase the amount of medicine in your body, increasing your risk for side effects.
- You should start feeling better within two days of beginning artemether/lumefantrine treatment. Take the medicine for all three days, even if you feel better. If you do not start to feel better, your healthcare provider may need to give you a different malaria medicine.
- If you get flu-like symptoms, such as fever, chills, and muscle aches and pains, after finishing artemether/lumefantrine, contact your healthcare provider. You may need additional malaria treatment.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.