Arcalyst Side Effects
Call your healthcare provider if you are using Arcalyst and develop fever, bloody stools, or difficulty breathing. In most cases, however, people tolerate this medicine well and reactions tend to be minor and easy to treat. Clinical studies have shown that some of the most commonly reported Arcalyst side effects include reactions at the injection site, coughing, and infections.
An Introduction to Arcalyst Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Arcalyst® (rilonacept) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Arcalyst. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With ArcalystArcalyst has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people given Arcalyst were carefully documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a group of people given a placebo (a product that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Arcalyst included but were not limited to:
- Reactions at the injection site -- in up to 48 percent of people
- Any infection -- up to 48 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 26 percent
- Cough -- up to 9 percent
- Decreased sensitivity to touch -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 4 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 4 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) discomfort -- up to 4 percent
- Urinary tract infection (UTI, such as a bladder infection) -- up to 4 percent.
Injection site reactions generally lasted one or two days. Some of these reactions included but were not limited to:
- Pain and discomfort