If you take too much Aralen (chloroquine phosphate), it could cause dangerous or even life-threatening symptoms, such as cardiac arrest, seizures, or heart arrhythmias. The symptoms can come on quite suddenly, and can be particularly dangerous for children. Because the effects of an overdose can happen so quickly, it's important to start treatment immediately -- even before being taken to the hospital, if possible.
Can You Take Too Much Aralen?Aralen® (chloroquine phosphate) is a prescription medication licensed to prevent or treat malaria. It is also indicated to treat an infection called extraintestinal amebiasis. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Aralen.
The specific effects of an Aralen overdose can be dangerous, especially in children. These effects would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Aralen dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
The effects of an overdose with Aralen can occur quickly, sometimes within minutes. Children are especially sensitive to this medication, and even relatively small overdoses can be lethal. Some reported effects of this type of overdose include the following:
- Vision problems
- Nausea and vomiting
- Cardiac arrest
- Heart arrhythmias
- Loss of life.
Treatment OptionsImmediate treatment is very important for an Aralen overdose, and will often start at home before a person is taken to the hospital. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose with Aralen may include the following:
- Medications, such as diazepam, to control seizures
- Monitoring of heart rhythm with an electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Fluids through an intravenous (IV) line
- Other treatments based on the symptoms that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe you or someone else may have taken too much Aralen.