When treating pulmonary arterial hypertension with ambrisentan, the dosage will be calculated based on other medications you are taking, how you respond to ambrisentan, and various other factors. This prescription medicine comes as tablets that are taken once daily at about the same time each day. The recommended starting amount is usually 5 mg once daily.
The dose of ambrisentan (Letairis®) your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on a couple of factors, including:
- How you tolerate the medicine
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended initial dose of ambrisentan for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is usually 5 mg once a day. If you do not experience bothersome or potentially dangerous side effects, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose to 10 mg once a day. Doses above 10 mg a day have not been studied in PAH clinical trials.
People who take cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®) should generally not take more than 5 mg of ambrisentan a day. This is because cyclosporine can increase ambrisentan blood levels.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ambrisentan include the following:
- Ambrisentan comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take your dose of ambrisentan with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Ambrisentan can be taken any time during the day. However, you should take it at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Swallow ambrisentan whole. Do not crush, cut, chew, or split the tablets.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your ambrisentan dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.